Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 41 of Training: Five Minutes


I RAN FIVE MINUTES TODAY!! I know that sounds lame. Many of you might be thinking... 5 minutes of running... um... ok... cool? It's a big deal for me! I've been trying to run for five minutes straight for over a month now!! The good news is that I didn't just do it once but three times today! Walked five, ran five & repeated three times. I'll admit that on my last five of running I was looking at my watch more than at the road. I had to really concentrate on my breathing. I knew that I could run half of it but the length of time I could run was 3-4 minutes last week so I was pretty excited today!! I just couldn't help the huge smile on my face (while trying to catch my breathe) as I finished with the first five minutes today. I'm sticking with this for a week and then I'll be working on running for ten minutes then walking for five minutes.

I was in my first 5K on Saturday. When I signed up for it I was hoping to be able to run the whole thing but... as everyone knows from my above comments... that just didn't happen. It didn't matter to me though. This was the first race I've ever been in. I manipulated my Mom into doing it with me and we walked the whole thing together. It was so fun and I was glad to kind of see how the whole race thing works. The race was for women only and was all about loving your body. I felt like it was the perfect race to start out with considering that's exactly what I'm trying to do. After... I heard that it was terribly unorganized & not as great as others that people had been in. I didn't know any different but it's kind of fun to know that they just get better than that. I loved the whole theme of it though & I was pretty proud of us for doing as well as we did.

I know that I still have a long ways to go to be able to run my marathon in May but I feel like I'm chugging right along. It's been really hard so far but it's also been very exhilarating to know that I can do something that I couldn't do 6 weeks ago and that I did something this weekend that I've never done before. It's all pretty cool!

1 comment:

  1. Considering our time (right in the middle of the pack) and the includes the people who walked and RAN the 5k I'd say our time was awesome! We were (in my thinking) some of the fastest walkers! My thinking is -- the people who beat us were the runners ... makes sense right?

    ReplyDelete